American Osteopathic College of Anesthesiologists (AOCA)
American Osteopathic College of Anesthesiologists First General Assembly
Tuesday, September 10, 2013, 12:00pm, Rockefeller Auditorium
Advisor: Dr. Ursula Landman, D.O.
Present: Mohammed Rahman (President), Kathleen Thomas (Vice President), Jenny Berezanskaya (Secretary), Arjun Tara (Treasurer), Heather Stampfl (Journal Representative)
The President began the meeting with a welcome message and introduction of the E-board and advisor to the general assembly. The President discussed dates of future meetings/workshops. He further advised students that payment of $15 for membership would provide them with a sweatshirt later in the year, as well as access to workshops and shadowing opportunities.
The E-board conducted the election for a first year representative. Isabella Bergagnini (email: firstname.lastname@example.org) was elected by majority vote.
Dr. Landman then introduced herself and provided details regarding upcoming conferences and research grant opportunities:
- AOCA annual conference: 9/22-25 in Washington, DC at Omni Shoreham Hotel
- Winter Conference: 1/17-1/19/14 in New Orleans at Hotel Monteleone
- Midyear Seminar: 3/14-3/16/14 at Intercontinental Hotel in Chicago
- Annual conference (2014): 9/28-10/1/14 at Westin Kierland, in Scottsdale, Arizona
- link to site: http://www.aocaonline.org/activek/content.asp?catid=38
- American Society of Anesthesiologists (ASA) annual meeting: 10/12-16 in San Francisco
- link to site: https://www.asahq.org/Annual-Meeting.aspx
- New York State Society of Anesthesiologists (NYSSA) PGA meeting: 12/13-17 at Marriott Marquis Hotel in NYC
- link to site: www.nyssa-pga.org
- Foundation for Anesthesia Education and Research (FAER): Research Grant Opportunities
- application opens 11/15, closes 12/15
- match into program by 2/1
- resources at http://faer.org/research-grants/
Dr. Landman further discussed shadowing opportunities with her (contact her at email@example.com) and described some of her experiences as a student and anesthesiology resident.
Finally, raffle winners were selected: Mohammed Movahid (Class of 2017) won Netter’s Flashcards and Gary Volkel (Class of 2016) won BRS Gross Anatomy.
Membership dues were collected for new members. Attendance: 47, New Paid Members: 33
The meeting adjourned at 12:57 pm.